Over the past few months, I've been experimenting with different cases for carrying my radio scanning equipment. Some have been smaller and worked well for a minimal daily carry, while others have been larger and better suited to what I would describe as a serious monitoring session.
It seems I've now reached the point where I'm starting to look at just about anything that might make a good radio case!
Recently, my wife purchased some electrical equipment, which arrived packaged in a fairly substantial piece of protective foam. As soon as I saw it, I noticed that the overall dimensions looked remarkably close to my ToolPro radio case. Even more interestingly, the foam already had a cut-out that looked like it might be a very good fit for my Uniden BCD325P2.
Rather than throwing the foam in the bin, I decided to see if I could put it to good use. This is one of those situations where something that would normally be considered packaging suddenly becomes useful once you start looking at it from a different perspective.
Recycling and Reusing
I've always liked the idea of reusing packaging where possible, but this was particularly appealing because the foam was already shaped and sized for what I wanted to do.
There was no need to buy another piece of foam and cut it from scratch. There was no need to throw perfectly usable material away only to purchase something similar later. Instead, I could take something that had already served one purpose and give it a second life protecting a piece of radio equipment.
It's a small thing, but it seems like a much better outcome than simply putting it in the rubbish. And, of course, it gives me another excuse to experiment with radio cases.
Another Case Experiment
The Daily Radio Carry Case MK4 is really the result of this ongoing experimentation. Over the last few months, I've tried cases of different sizes and configurations.
The smaller cases are great when I only want to carry a scanner and a few essentials. They are compact and easy to take with me.
The larger cases are better when I'm deliberately heading out for a longer monitoring session and want to take additional scanners, batteries, headphones, cables and other accessories.
This new setup sits somewhere between those two approaches. The recycled foam gives the BCD325P2 a dedicated, protected space while still allowing the case to remain relatively compact.
It's another example of how the design of a case doesn't necessarily need to start with buying something specifically marketed as a "radio case".
Sometimes the best solution is already sitting in front of you. This new setup ticks all the boxes, allows me to easily carry what I need and keeps everything safe.




No comments:
Post a Comment