As we pass the halfway point of 2026, I thought it would be a good opportunity to look back at what has been a busy and enjoyable year in the world of radio monitoring. While the hobby continues to evolve, so has my approach, focusing on learning, improving my equipment, refining my logging methods, and simply enjoying the process of discovering signals.
New Equipment
One of the biggest highlights this year has been expanding and refining my collection of scanners and receivers.
The standout addition has been the Uniden BCD325P2, which has quickly become one of my favourite scanners. Its support for APCO P25 has made it an excellent companion for monitoring modern digital systems, while still performing well on conventional analogue channels. Alongside the BCD325P2, I have continued using a range of radios including:
New Equipment
One of the biggest highlights this year has been expanding and refining my collection of scanners and receivers.
The standout addition has been the Uniden BCD325P2, which has quickly become one of my favourite scanners. Its support for APCO P25 has made it an excellent companion for monitoring modern digital systems, while still performing well on conventional analogue channels. Alongside the BCD325P2, I have continued using a range of radios including:
- Uniden UBCD396XT
- Uniden BCD160DN
- Baofeng UV-17
Improving My Portable Setup
I've also spent time refining my everyday carry equipment.
After trying several different storage options over the years, I finally settled on a compact waterproof carry case that perfectly suits my day-to-day scanning needs. At only around $25, it has proven to be one of the best value purchases I've made.
Combined with a small fishing tackle organiser for adapters, cables and accessories, it has created a portable station that is organised, protected and easy to carry in my backpack. Sometimes it's the inexpensive improvements that make the biggest difference.
Monitoring Around Tasmania
The majority of my monitoring continues to focus on Tasmania, particularly within the UHF spectrum.
Areas of interest include:
- DMR systems
- NXDN systems
- Conventional analogue services, including the VHF airband and VHF marine band
- UHF CB
- Amateur Radio
- Various licensed business frequencies
I've also noticed the continued growth of DMR and NXDN services throughout the state, providing plenty of opportunities to discover and identify new systems.
Signal Hunting
One of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby this year has been simply going out and seeing what I can find.
Rather than focusing solely on known frequencies, I've spent more time searching across the bands looking for unknown users, identifying new repeaters, business channels and digital systems.
Signal hunting remains one of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby because there's always something new to discover.
Amateur Radio
2026 also saw me become more active under my amateur radio callsign VK7AAL.
While my primary interest remains receiving and monitoring, amateur radio has opened new opportunities to learn more about RF, antennas, propagation and digital communications. It's a natural extension of the scanning hobby and complements it perfectly.
Sharing the Hobby
Throughout the year I've continued writing blog posts covering:
- Equipment reviews
- Monitoring observations
- Portable setups
- Radio accessories
- Software projects
- General thoughts on the hobby
Looking Ahead
The second half of 2026 should be just as interesting.
Some of the things I'm hoping to focus on include:
- Finding more DMR and NXDN systems
- Expanding my frequency database
- More portable monitoring sessions
- Continuing to refine my radio carry kit
- Writing more equipment reviews and tutorials
- Exploring additional amateur radio activities
No comments:
Post a Comment